Although package holidays are quite popular, alot of people today do not purchase them from a travel agent or tour operator, but rather make their own plans. This is named as self-packaging. It refers to the procedure of booking a holiday by purchasing flights and accommodation as singular products, and making a package in the manner a tour operator would.
Aerolite Lightweight Abs Hard Shell Trolley Travel Carry On Cabin Suitcase Hand Luggage, Grey
Waterproof Travel Passport Wallet Family Passport Holder RFID Blocking Document Organizer Bag with Removable Neck Strap for Hands Free Grey
Individual items can be purchased through a travel agent, but these are highly made online. This procedure is called independent travel that requires passengers to make direct bookings with the airlines and accommodation suppliers. However, this does not indicate people are travelling independently.
It has been stated that, the growing number of independent holidays is based on the following reasons:
- Travellers may have previously visited the countries, and now feel more confident;
- Travellers don’t feel the items provided by travel agents met their exact needs, or may have experienced something negative about package holidays in the past;
- Tourists are happy to arrange a journey based on what they specifically want to do, see and visit, rather buy a holiday that is not according to their requirements;
- People who have properties abroad or visit relatives and friends only need to book flights, as other parts of the journey have been organised;
- Travellers can obtain information on destinations they want to visit through websites and guide books. There is a large variety of guide books available. Reports and advice on accommodation and other items are more widespread online;
- Lastly, the internet has most importantly made it feasible to book reservations online, instead of being obligated to use services of the tour operator. It also provides independent tourists information they need and ways to book and pay for the accommodation and flights online.
Unit-1 Introduction to Travel and Tourism